Picture showing NPC deputies with cell phones.
It is not news that the Chinese government is diving into microblogging big time. “If you cannot beat them, join them”, the Chinese government is embracing microblogging to better connect with the country’s 457 million internet users and to possibly regain people’s trust in the government. By Feb, 2011. there are a total of more than 1300 verified government bodies opened a Sina Weibo account. Among them, 692 are official accounts for police bureaus, 216 are for government departments and 426 are personal accounts of government officials. Heading into China’s National People’s Congress this week, Sina Weibo even open a designated area for NPC members to share their bill proposals, much like what a Western politician would do to their “constituents”. Over 230 deputies already opened their NPC microblogging accounts.
“micro bill proposal”, where common microbloggers share their wishes for the country, has also become one of the top buzz words in Sina Weibo. Here are some of the most retweeted “micro bill proposals” by Chinese microblogger.
1. Laws on animal abuse and homeless animal protection.
2. Legalization of same sex marriage.
3. Increasing investment in ndemnificatory housing.
4. Increasing taxation on state-owned enterprises.
5. More severe punishment for the corrupted.
6. Salaries up, prices down.
7. Affordable car, affordable housing and affordable wife.