College students in China have long been referred to as “the God’s favored” (天之骄子), partly due to their scarcity before. As more and more colleges are set up in China; and as more and more students have the opportunity to pursue higher education, college graduates increasingly lose their advantages, particularly in job markets. To many, the end of college doesn’t only mark the end of formal schooling, but also the end of a significant chapter in their youth that may just as well be the high point of self-esteem. As the graduation season approaches, Renren, China’s Facebook equivalent participated mainly by high school and college students, started a campaign called “Share your biggest regrets in college”, which soon went viral. Below are a sample of pictures shared online. It’s interesting to see that love and travel emerge as major regrets for many.
- Never been in a relationship
- Never failed any exams
- Failed to lose weight
- Never been drunk
Failed to pass college English Test band 6
Failed to build pecs
Never tried being gay
Never been in a fight
Without a clear goal to work for, wasted the last 2 years of college
If I could do college again, I would
- Play volleyball diligently
- Find a girlfriend
- Learn to sing a few songs
- Try to be care-free and stupid for once
- Take my backpack and travel alone, not contacting anyone
- Never studied in libraries
- Never sincerely loved a girl
- Still don’t know what I want after graduation
- Still cannot fly
- Never been late to classes
- Never seen a T-mac game live
- Never studied hard
I landed a job, but gave up my dream. Now that I got into a graduate program but lost the job.
The first time I stepped into college, I met my crush. But 4 years have passed and I still don’t have the courage to tell him.
If possible, I want to do college all over again.
Always wanted to travel around but had neither the time nor the money. Such a pity!
Failed to overcome my weaknesses
• Never learned to dance
• Traveled too little. I will work hard to make these dreams come true in the future.
• Resigned from student union at sophomore year
• Haven’t worked hard learning English
• Haven’t participated in more extracurricular activities
• Never did any part-time jobs
• Haven’t earned enough money to travel around
• Failed to loose weight
Broke up with boyfriend in the end
Too few girlfriends, too much bullshit
• Never told the tall and hot guy that I liked him
• Haven’t tried harder and took CPA
• Should have eaten less and traveled more